Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Query me

Query letters are a Bitch! I'm not even going to sugar coat it. But they are in fact masterful and can get your book in places you've been dreaming IF and only IF you do it right.

So what's the perfect Query letter look like?

Well, for starters it has a Hook, A snappy but well thought out entertaining summary, and an ending that leaves you with an Ouuuu! 

You must remember P's and Q's. Be polite, and remember your manners when writing a query letter.

Here's an example of a decent query letter:


Dear Agent, (Obviously not what I'd really address my letter. Mr or Ms Agent's name is the proper way)

I am seeking representation on my Young Adult, Sci-fi Romance, RUNAWAYS. (I'd also add in here the reason I was querying them above all else.)

Your Pitch "Hook"----->What if your blood contained all your secrets, like a diary, how far would you go to protect it?

Summary pitch "Short and snappy"---> In a time when juries will be replaced by truth telling devices, which not only projects your darkest secrets, but every emotion, thought, and reaction you’ve had throughout your entire life. And when seventeen-year-old Analee Summers is accused of murdering her roommate Mia Morgan, she must put her faith in her own blood to set herself free. But the court refuses to test her innocence using this device.

With the help of a snarky, guy named Brooks Rawson, she flees Winter Academy. However running from the law isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Especially when the guy she’s with is more like a overbearing cynic, constantly telling her what to do, keeping her isolated from others and moving them from place to place. Analee desperately wants her life back and knows the only way that will happen is if she finds Mia’s true killer. But discovering the truth might not be enough to set her free. RUNAWAYS is complete at 70,000 words.

This is the part you tell them a little bit about you. What kind of things do you actively do, publication history, etc.---->I am an active member of the YALITCHAT writing community.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you. (End with politeness)  

Sincerely,

Practice make perfect. Also join a writing group ones that have query critiques. A lot of them get down to the nitty gritty and really help your query letter shine. good luck

8 comments:

  1. Great post, good information. I agree, query letters are a bitch, along with the synopsis. I've revamped my query a hundred times. Finally received an offer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the dreaded query. As much as everyone seems to hate it, and as frustrating as the constant revisions might get, I actually enjoyed the process. It's the rejection of the queries that's not fun.

    Have fun with a-z. :) And congrats to Cathrina above on receiving the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Just found your blog and will be back to read more!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Queries can be tricky. I think I've written more in the last six months, than in my entire life combined! Happy A to Z!


    MakingtheWriteConnections

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep plugging away and improving each query. I'm pleased to say that last year my query letters were rewarded. Two publishers accepted books.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I have been waiting to finish my book until working on the query letter but I realize now I should be practicing them as I continue to polish my novel.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi" :)

    Great Q post honey!

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge, although, not far to go now ;)

    xx (www.the-view-outside.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All great ideas. I hope you enjoyed A to Z as much as me!

    ReplyDelete